Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sonia Sotomayor

Like Glenn Greenwald, I'm puzzled by the attacks on Judge Sonia Sotomayor's intellectual abilities in Jeffrey Rosen's TNR profile. I've appeared in front of Judge Sotomayor twice (admittedly many years ago) and I've practiced in her jurisdiction for many years, and "not that bright" is the last way I would describe her. No lawyer agrees with every opinion a judge writes, and I haven't always agreed with Judge Sotomayor, but the idea that she's "not the brainiest of people" has honestly never entered my mind. She's very bright, and she definitely has the intellectual firepower to sit on the Supreme Court. Questioning a federal circuit judge's "command of technical legal details" is frankly insulting, and I find it hard to believe that those criticisms weren't personal. Very bizarre.

3 comments:

Rhodo Zeb said...

They were going to whine about whoever was floated. Plus it hasn't been made official yet.

She is infantry, I would assume. No chance to survive but she can help another to squeak through.

Eleanor said...

Honestly, I have to agree: they were going to call anyone who was seriously floated for the Court an idiot. These people have no respect for judges as public servants, and probably less respect for the law that they serve.

I agree: to anyone who has worked with or for this judge, such an attack is personal.

Anonymous said...

these peopleDiablo 3 Gold were going to contact anyone who had been significantly sailed for the Judge a fool. They will don't have any regard for family court judges seeing that public servants, and probably a smaller amount respect forRS Gold that legislation that they offer.